Important Geophysical Phenomena & Geographical Features :
Consider the following statements regarding El-Nino:
- EI-Nino is merely an extension of the warm equatorial current which gets replaced temporarily by cold Peruvian Current or Humboldt Current.
- The process of upwelling along the coast of South America in eastern pacific takes place during an El-Nino.
Which of the above statements are correct?
Which of the following are the effects of El Nino?
- The distortion of equatorial atmospheric circulation.
- Irregularities in the evaporation of sea water.
- Reduction in the amount of planktons which further reduce the number of fish in the sea.
Choose the correct answer by using the codes given below:
.With reference to ‘Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD)’ sometimes mentioned in the news while forecasting Indian monsoon, which of the following statements is/are correct?
- IOD phenomenon is characterized by a difference in sea surface temperature between tropical Western Indian Ocean and tropical Eastern Pacific Ocean.
- An IOD phenomenon can influence an El Nino’s impact on the monsoon.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
Consider the following statements with reference to the effects of El Nino:
- El Nino warms and dries tropical ecosystems, reduces their uptake of carbon as well as exacerbates forest fires.
- Also, generally warm El Niño events are characterized by more tropical storms and hurricanes in the eastern Pacific and a decrease in the Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea.
Which of the above statements is/are incorrect?
Consider the following statements about the atmosphere of Earth:
- Ionosphere influences radio propagation to distant places on the Earth.
- Ionosphere coincides with the thermosphere.
- Heat transfer by convection is limited only to stratosphere.
Choose the correct answer from the code given below: