Two Indians Named In International Panel Of ICC Development Umpires
- Vrinda Rathi and Janani Narayanan have been named in the International Panel of ICC Development Umpires.
- Tamil Nadu’s Janani Narayanan is a software engineer while, Vrinda Rathi of Mumbai is a former varsity player who has been umpiring in Indian domestic cricket from 2018.
- Wimbledon organizers have cancelled the Wimbledon Championships 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- This cancelation has happened for the first time since 1945 since World War II.
- The French Open Tennis has been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic and will take place from 20th September to 4th October.
Tiger Woods To Be Inducted Into World Golf Hall Of Fame In 2021 Class
- American golfer Tiger Woods will be inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame as part of the class of 2021.
- The hall of fame, located in St. Augustine, Florida, released a statement saying Woods, winner of 15 major titles, will be inducted in the male competitor category.
- Former Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi became a member of Rajya Sabha.
- He was nominated to Rajya Sabha by the President of India Ram Nath Kovind.
- Twelve members are nominated to the Rajya Sabha by the President of India for six-years term for their contributions towards arts, literature, sciences, and social services. This right has been bestowed upon the President according to the Fourth Schedule (Articles 4(1) and 80(2)) of the Constitution of India.
- Indian footballer Sunil Chhetri has been chosen for FIFA campaign against Covid-19.
- FIFA and the World Health Organization (WHO) have teamed up to combat the coronavirus by launching a new awareness campaign led by world-renowned footballers.
- The ‘Pass the message to kick out coronavirus’ campaign promotes five key steps for people to follow to protect their health in line with WHO guidance, focused on handwashing, coughing etiquette, not touching your face, physical distance and staying home if feeling unwell.
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
- The World Health Organisation’s Director General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has become the public face of Global fight against the coronavirus.
- He was elected in May 2017 as the WHO’s first African director-general. Prior to this, Dr Tedros served as Ethiopia’s Minister of Foreign Affairs from 2012–2016 and Health Minister from 2005-2012.
- The World Health Organization (WHO), established on 7th April 1948, is a specialized agency of the United Nations that acts as a coordinating authority on international public health. It is headquartered at Geneva in Switzerland.
- President of Afghanistan Ashraf Ghani won Afghanistan’s presidential election for the second term. He defeated Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah.
- The election results were announced by the Independent Election Commission (IEC) five months after the voting took place amid the threat of violence and concerns over electoral fraud.
Muhyiddin Yassin has been appointed as the new Prime Minister of Malaysia.
The appointment came after resignation of Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad.
- Arvind Kejriwal became the Chief Minister of Delhi for the 3rd time after his party won the recent Delhi Assembly election.
- The Secretary to the President, Sanjay Kothari has heen selected as the next Chief Vigilance Commissioner.
- Central Vigilance Commission is an apex governmental body of Central Govt. to address governmental corruption.
- It is a statutory body and derives its powers from the Central Vigilance Commission Act, 2003