Current Affairs - Sports In News
The ICC Awards are an annual set of sports awards for international cricket, which recognise and honour the best international cricket players of the previous 12 months. The awards were introduced by the International Cricket Council (ICC) in 2004.
Winners for the Year 2021
- Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy for ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year – Smriti Mandhana (India)
The 2022 Syed Modi International Badminton Championship was held at Babu Banarasi Das Indoor Stadium in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh from 18 to 23 January 2022.
- Women’s Singles: Indian shuttler, PV Sindhu beat fellow Indian Malvika Bansod to win her second Syed Modi title after 2017.
Defenders can keep wearing Protective Face Gear within 23m Area
- To make the sport safer for its athletes, the International Hockey Federation (FIH) has allowed players defending penalty corners to keep their protective equipment on even after the ball goes outside the striking circle, but must remove them at the first opportunity inside the 23m area.
The 2021 World Rapid Championship was organized at Warsaw, Poland from December 26 through December 30.
- Men’s: GM Nodirbek Abdusattorov (Uzbekistan) won the champion. Ian Alexandrovich Nepomniachtchi (Russia) came second, while Magnus Carlsen (Norway) –the winner of previous title (2019) came third. The event did not take place in 2020 due to Covid 19. Viswanathan Anand from India won this title in 2017 at Riyadh (Saudi Arabia).
Indian skier Aanchal Thakur won the bronze medal in the giant slalom category at a Federation Internationale de Ski (FIS) meet held at Kolasin, Montenegro.
- Aanchal Thakur’s bronze was India’s second-ever international skiing medal. The first, incidentally, was also a bronze won by Aanchal Thakur at the 2018 Alpine Ejder 3200 Cup held in Turkey.