North East Sustainable Development Goals Conclave 2020
- NITI Aayog organised “Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Conclave 2020: Partnerships, Cooperation and Development of North Eastern States” in Guwahati, Assam, from 24th to 26th February, 2020, in association with the North Eastern Council, Government of Assam, Tata Trusts, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS).
- It goal was to identify solutions as well as accelerators for the implementation of SDGs in the North Eastern Region (NER).
- NITI Aayog has the mandate of overseeing the adoption and monitoring of SDGs at the national and sub-national level.
CDRR & R – 2020
- The 1st ‘National Conference on Coastal Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience (CDRR&R) – 2020’, was organised by the National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM), in New Delhi.
- The conference focussed on enhancing human capacity in terms of better understanding about coastal disaster risks and effective collaborative actions, by implementing Prime Minister’s 10-point agenda and Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, for reducing the risk and enhancing the resilience amongst the affected stakeholders.
- The aim of the conference was to explore and debate the most recent advances in the discipline, to enhance the understanding of the issues and solutions on various facets for coastal disaster risk reduction and resilience.
HAL To Manufacture Light Utility Helicopters
- The Hindustan Aeronautics Limited has got the initial clearance from the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to domestically manufacture Light Utility Helicopters (LUHs) to meet the operational requirements of Indian Army and Indian Air Force, paving the way for replacing the ageing fleet of Cheetah and Chetak helicopters.
- HAL displayed its prototypes at the Def-Expo 2020 held at Lucknow.
DRDO is in the process of developing a 200-km strike range tactical ballistic missile ‘Pranash’, which would be armed with conventional warheads and would be used by the Army and Air force.
- Pranash is an advanced version of Prahar missile (150-km strike range) which was being developed for tactical missions.
- The single-stage solid-propellant missile would also be readied for exports to friendly foreign countries as its strike range is within the permissible limits of international regimes on missile sales.
Parth: Gun Shot Locator Device
The Indian Army’s College of Military Engineering jointly with a private firm has developed a gunshot locator device – ‘Parth’.
- The device can locate the exact location of a bullet from a distance of 400m and will help to locate and neutralize terrorists faster.
- The device costs around Rs 3 lakhs, and if inducted, would replace a similar imported item which costs around Rs 65 lakhs.
ICGS Varad Commissioned
The Indian Coast Guard’s Offshore Patrol Vessel ICGS Varad has been commissioned.
- The vessel has been designed and built by the L&T at its yard at Kattupalli near Chennai.
- The ship Varad can carry a twin engine helicopter and four high speed boats for swift boarding operations, search and rescue, law enforcement and maritime patrol. The ship is also capable of carrying pollution response equipment for oil spill response at sea.
Indradhanush - V 2020
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) and Royal Air Force (RAF) of UK jointly carried out the fifth edition of Exercise Indradhanush at Air Force Station Hindon.
- The focus of this edition of the exercise was ‘Base Defence and Force Protection’- signifying the recent threats to military establishments from terror elements.
- RaIDer-X is an explosive detection device that was unveiled at the National Workshop on Explosive Detection (NWED-2020) in Pune.
- RaIDer-X has the capability to detect explosives from a stand-off distance. The data library can be built in the system to expand its capability to detect a number of explosives in pure form as well as with the contaminants. Bulk explosive in a concealed condition can also be detected by the device.
- It has been co-developed by DRDO’s High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL) Pune and IISc Bangalore.
- The 9th edition of India-Bangladesh joint army exercise SAMPRITI-IX was held at Umroi, Meghalaya.
- The Indian Navy has postponed the military drill ‘Milan 2020’ sheduled in March. Milan is a multilateral biennial naval exercise hosted by the Indian Navy under the aegis of the Andaman and Nicobar Command.
- 41 nations from South Asia, Southeast Asia, Africa and Europe that share defence cooperation with India have were invited for the drill.