- President of Afghanistan Ashraf Ghani won Afghanistan’s presidential election for the second term. He defeated Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah.
- The election results were announced by the Independent Election Commission (IEC) five months after the voting took place amid the threat of violence and concerns over electoral fraud.
Muhyiddin Yassin has been appointed as the new Prime Minister of Malaysia.
The appointment came after resignation of Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad.
- Arvind Kejriwal became the Chief Minister of Delhi for the 3rd time after his party won the recent Delhi Assembly election.
- The Secretary to the President, Sanjay Kothari has heen selected as the next Chief Vigilance Commissioner.
- Central Vigilance Commission is an apex governmental body of Central Govt. to address governmental corruption.
- It is a statutory body and derives its powers from the Central Vigilance Commission Act, 2003
- Former Information and Broadcasting Secretary Bimal Julka, currently serving as an Information Commissioner, has been selected as the new Chief Information Commissioner in the Central Information Commission.
- The Central Information Commission is a statutory body, set up under the Right to Information Act in 2005.
- The work of CIC broadly relate to adjudication in second appeal for giving information; direction for record keeping, suo motu disclosures receiving and enquiring into a complaint on inability to file RTI, etc; imposition of penalties and Monitoring and Reporting including preparation of an Annual Report. The decisions of the Commission are final and binding.
Hosni El Sayed Mubarak
- Egyptian military and political leader - Muhammad Hosni El Sayed Mubarak, who served as the fourth president of Egypt (1981 to 2011) has passed away.
Rajendra Kumar Pachauri
- Dr Pachauri, who contributed immensely to global sustainable development through his leadership (2002-2015) in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and laid the ground for climate change conversations today, has passed away. The IPCC was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize during his tenure. He was also the former Chairman and Director General of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
- He was also awarded with the Padma Bhushan (2001) and the Padma Vibhushan (2008).
- Noted writer Giriraj Kishore who was awarded ‘Padma Shri’ by the Govt. of India in 2007 for his literary work, has passed away.
- He was given the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1992 and the Vyas Samman in 2000 for his work – ‘Pahla Girmitiya’ (The Girmitiya Saga).
- Renowned author of Indian philosophy and society P. Parameswaran has passed away.
- He was awarded Padma Shri (2000) and Padma Vibhushan (2018) in the field of Literature & Education.
- Noted fashion designer, author and social activist Wendell Rodricks has passed away.
- In 2014, he was conferred with the Padma Shri by Govt. of India.