- India is celebrating the 100th birth anniversary of scientist and innovator Dr. Vikram A Sarabhai.
- He is considered the father of India’s space program.
- Sarabhai established the Indian National Committee for Space Research in 1962, which was later renamed the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO). He also established Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) in Ahmedabad on 11 November, 1947 which was the first laboratory of independent India. He was the founding director of Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad.
- As part of centenary year celebrations ISRO has instituted “Vikram Sarabhai Journalism Award in Space Science, Technology and Research”.
Elangbam Valentina Devi
- Manipur government has appointed a nine-year-old girl Elangbam Valentina Devi as brand ambassador for the Chief Minister’s Green Manipur Mission who was in the news recently after she sobbed inconsolably when two trees she planted were cut down.
- Wing Commander Shaliza Dhami became the first woman officer of the Indian Air Force to become the Flight Commander of a flying unit. Flight Commander is the second in command of the unit.
- Wing Commander Dhami, serving for 15 years now, has been flying choppers. She became the first woman flying instructor of the Air Force and is also the first woman officer to get permanent commission of the flying branch.
Showing 1-3 of 3 items.