- Former Information and Broadcasting Secretary Bimal Julka, currently serving as an Information Commissioner, has been selected as the new Chief Information Commissioner in the Central Information Commission.
- The Central Information Commission is a statutory body, set up under the Right to Information Act in 2005.
- The work of CIC broadly relate to adjudication in second appeal for giving information; direction for record keeping, suo motu disclosures receiving and enquiring into a complaint on inability to file RTI, etc; imposition of penalties and Monitoring and Reporting including preparation of an Annual Report. The decisions of the Commission are final and binding.
Hosni El Sayed Mubarak
- Egyptian military and political leader - Muhammad Hosni El Sayed Mubarak, who served as the fourth president of Egypt (1981 to 2011) has passed away.
Rajendra Kumar Pachauri
- Dr Pachauri, who contributed immensely to global sustainable development through his leadership (2002-2015) in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and laid the ground for climate change conversations today, has passed away. The IPCC was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize during his tenure. He was also the former Chairman and Director General of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
- He was also awarded with the Padma Bhushan (2001) and the Padma Vibhushan (2008).
- Noted writer Giriraj Kishore who was awarded ‘Padma Shri’ by the Govt. of India in 2007 for his literary work, has passed away.
- He was given the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1992 and the Vyas Samman in 2000 for his work – ‘Pahla Girmitiya’ (The Girmitiya Saga).
- Renowned author of Indian philosophy and society P. Parameswaran has passed away.
- He was awarded Padma Shri (2000) and Padma Vibhushan (2018) in the field of Literature & Education.
- Noted fashion designer, author and social activist Wendell Rodricks has passed away.
- In 2014, he was conferred with the Padma Shri by Govt. of India.
Joginder Singh Saini
- Dronacharya awardee (1997) athletics coach Joginder Singh Saini has passes away.
- He was the chief coach of the Indian athletics team which won 18 medals, including eight golds, at the 1978 Asian Games.
UP Govt. Approves Ground Water Act, 2020
- To improve the falling groundwater level, UP Govt. has approved the Ground Water Act, 2020. It aims to improve the falling groundwater level.
- Under the Ground Water Act, 2020, registration is mandatory to install submersible pumps. The domestic users and farmers need not pay any fee. Rainwater harvesting system has been made mandatory in all private and government schools and colleges. Also there are penal provisions for misuse of groundwater.
First Pilot Project On Sustainable Developmental Goals
- NITI Aayog has selected Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir for first pilot project among all States and UTs on Sustainable Developmental Goals. It would get a chance to work with United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
H.P Becomes First State To Have 100% LPG Gas Coverage
- Himachal Pradesh has become the first state in the country to have 100% LPG gas coverage.
- After the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (launched in 2016) to provide clean fuel to women below the poverty line, a similar scheme of State Govt. - “Himachal Grihini Suvidha Yojana” (launched in 2018) helped in covering the remaining households of PM Ujjwala Yojana.