Exercise Ajeya Warrior-2020
- The fifth edition of Exercise Ajeya Warrior-2020 between India and United Kingdom Army was held at Salisbury Plains, United Kingdom.
- The aim of the exercise was to conduct training of troops in counter insurgency and counter terrorist operations in both Urban and Semi Urban areas.
India’s First ‘Protein Day’
Right to Protein, a national-level public health initiative, has launched India’s first ‘Protein Day’ to raise awareness about the health benefits of protein.
- The theme for this year’s Protein Day is ‘Protein Mein Kya Hai?’ asking citizens to be mindful about their protein consumption.
- Many countries recognize 27th February as the Protein Day and from this year, India has also joined this movement.
- The Union Ministry of Food Processing Industries has launched Market Intelligence and Early Warning System (MIEWS) Portal for Monitoring prices of TOP Crops (Tomato, Onion and Potato) and generating alerts.
- MIEWS portal would help in planning and timely intervention for price stabilization.
IGIA: First Single-Use Plastic-Free Airport In India
- Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) has become the first single-use plastic-free airport in India.
- The Indian Navy Hydrographic Survey Ship, INS Jamuna is on a deployment to carry out Joint Hydrographic Survey off the South – West coast of Sri Lanka. The ship has undertaken several survey activities as part of the Foreign Cooperation Survey alongwith the Sri Lanka Navy hydrographers.
Apiary On Wheels
- It is an initiative by Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) for the easy upkeep and migration of bee boxes having live bee colonies.
- ‘Apiary on wheels’ will make the migration easy, the maintenance easy, easy feeding of bees and it will also help the bees to sustain even in extreme summers.
- An Artificial Intelligence-based police officer called “Ella” has made its place in the New Zealand Police force.
- Ella is a virtual assistant with a face. Basically, it is like Apple’s Siri or Amazon’s Alexa but with a human like Face.
All Medical Devices Will Be Treated As Drugs From 1 April
- The government of India has announced all medical devices sold in the country would be treated as “drugs” with effect from 1 April 2020.
- All devices will be regulated under the Drugs and Cosmetics Act of 1940. Currently, 23 medical devices have been classified as drugs.
Restaurant On Wheels
- Indian Railways has launched its first ‘Restaurant on Wheels’ at Asansol Railway station for the use of Railway passengers as well as general public of Asansol, West Bengal.
Oxygen Detected Outside Milky Way
- Molecules of oxygen have been tracked for the first time to a strange and distant galaxy - Markarian 231, millions of light-years away.
- This is only the third time trails of oxygen molecules have been detected beyond the solar system. Earlier, in the span of the last 20 years, the molecules were found only in the Orion Nebula and the Rho Ophiuchi, both part of our milky way galaxy.
- Oxygen is the third most abundant element in the Universe, behind hydrogen (naturally) and helium. So its chemistry and abundance in interstellar clouds are important for understanding the role of molecular gas in galaxies.