Current Affairs - Appointment & Resignation
Lt Gen Manoj C Pande, presently Vice Chief of the Army Staff, has been appointed as the next (29th) Chief of the Army Staff (COAS) with effect from the afternoon of April 30, 2022.
The Ambassador to Nepal Vinay Mohan Kwatra has been appointed as the next Foreign Secretary.
- He is set to take over the position on April 30, the day present Foreign Secretary Harshvardhan Shringla retires.
The centre has given the charge the Controller General of Accounts (CGA), Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance to Sonali Singh, Additional Controller General of Accounts, after superannuation of Dipak Dash.
On 28th January 2022, the Government has appointed Venkatraman Anantha Nageswaran as the Chief Economic Advisor.
- The chief economic adviser (CEA) in the finance ministry advises the government on economic matters and traditionally scripts the economic survey presented in Parliament a day before the Union budget presentation on 1 February.
Following the death of European Parliament President David Sassoli, Roberta Metsola Tedesco Triccas has taken over as head of the European Parliament.
Eastern Army Commander Lieutenant General Manoj Chandrashekhar Pande has been appointed as the next Vice Chief of Army Staff.
- He will succeed Lt Gen CP Mohanty who is scheduled to superannuate on January 31, 2022.
On 4th January 2022, India’s permanent representative to the United Nations, TS Tirumurti assumed the Chair of the Security Council Counter-Terrorism Committee for 2022.
- Earlier, India had chaired this Committee in the Security Council in 2011-12.
- In 2021, India has been asked to Chair three important Committees of the Security
The Union government has extended the tenure of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor Shaktikanta Das by three years starting from December 10, 2021.