Ministry Of Shipping Waives Off Waterways Usage Charges For Three Years
- The Ministry of Shipping has waived of waterway usage charges for three years considering the Government of India’s vision to promote inland waterways as a supplementary, eco-friendly and cheaper mode of transport.
- Currently only 2% of total cargo traffic moves through waterways.
- This will attract the industries to use the national waterways for their logistical needs.
- As the mode of transport is eco-friendly and cheaper, it will not only reduce the burden on other transport modes but also promote the ease of doing business.
Which organisation levies waterway usage charges?
- Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) levies the waterway usage charges.