French Open 2020
The French Open is a Grand Slam tennis tournament played on outdoor clay courts. It was held at the Stade Roland Garros in Paris, France.
- Poland's IgaSwiatek defeated American Sofia Kenin to win the 2020 French Open for her first Grand Slam singles title.
- The 19-year-old Swiatek, at 54 the lowest-ranked woman to capture the Roland Garros title in the modern era, beat her sixth-ranked opponent to win her country’s first Grand Slam singles title.
- Swiatek is the youngest women’s French Open winner since Monica Seles lifted the trophy as an 18-year-old in 1992. She is the first teenage champion since Iva Majoli in 1997.
- Swiatek became just the second unseeded women’s Roland Garros champion in the Open era, joining Jelena Ostapenko who claimed the title three years ago.
- Rafael Nadal (Spain) beat Novak Djokovic (Serbia) to win his 20th Grand Slam title, equalling Roger Federer, and his 13th French Open title.
- Rafael Nadal has won the most French Open titles, with thirteen (which is also a record for any player, male or female, in any one of the four major tournaments) and also holds the record for the most consecutive wins in the Open Era, with five from 2010 to 2014.