Jallikattu: India’s Official Entry For Oscars 2021
- Malayalam film Jallikattu, directed by Lijo Jose Pellissery, has been selected as India’s official entry for the ‘Best International Feature Film’ category for the 93rd Academy Awards to be held in 2021.
- Jallikattu is the third Malayalam film after Guru (1997) and Adaminte Makan Abu (2011) to be chosen as the country’s official entry for the Oscars.
- The film is based on writer S. Hareesh’s acclaimed story ‘Maoist’.
- The selection has been made by a 14-member committee of the Film Federation of India from a shortlist of 26 films.
- Last year, Zoya Akhtar’s Gully Boy was sent as India’s official entry to the 92nd Academy Awards.
- So far no Indian film has won in this category but three films were nominated- Mother India (1957), Salaam Bombay (1988) and Lagaan (2001).