Amendment to Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules 2011
The Union Government has amended the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules 2011 for enhanced protection of Consumer Rights. The amendments will come into effect from 1st April next year.
(Image Source: linkedin.com)
- The Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution has omitted the Rule 5 defining the Schedule II prescribing the pack sizes of various types of commodities.
- A new provision has been introduced to indicate the unit sale price on pre-packed commodities, which will allow easier comparison of the prices of the commodities at the time of purchase.
- The declaration of date of manufacture on the pre-packed commodities is made mandatory for pre packed commodities under the revised rules.
- The provisions of declarations of MRP has been simplified by removing illustration and providing for making the mandatory declaration of MRP in Indian currency inclusive of all taxes. This has allowed the manufacturer to declare the MRP on the pre-packed commodities in a simplified manner.
About Legal Metrology Act
- The Legal Metrology Act establishes and enforces standards and regulations of weights & measurements or any aspects that are incidental to the same. Although there are various rules mentioned under the act, one of the major parts of the act is about packaged commodities.
- For maintenance of fair trade practices and protection of consumers’ rights, the act defines rules regarding packaging of goods. It also outlines standards regarding weight & measurements of packaged goods.
- What declaration should be made on the packaging and how is also mentioned in the act.
- The act falls under the jurisdiction of the Department of Legal Metrology which comes under the Department of Consumer Affairs.
- Appointment & Resignation
- Awards In News
- Defence/Military Exercises
- Famous Books
- Important Days/Weeks
- Important Decade
- Organisation In News
- Persons In News
- Places In News
- Plans & Policy
- Scheme & Programme
- Species In News
- Summit, Seminars & Conferences
- Web Portal & Apps
State In News