Current Affairs - Bilateral, Regional And Global Groupings
Quad Foreign Ministers’ Meeting
On March 3, 2023, the Quad Foreign Ministers’ Meeting was held in New Delhi to discuss various issues related to regional security and cooperation.
Fourth Quad Ministerial Meeting
On 11th February, 2022, the fourth Quad Ministerial Meeting was held in Melbourne, Australia. India's Minister of External Affairs S. Jaishankar, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, Australia's Minister for Foreign Affairs Marise Payne, and Foreign Minister of Japan Yoshimasa Hayashi participated in the meeting. A joint statement was released after the meeting.
India joins G20 Troika
India has joined the G20 Troika, which consists of Indonesia, Italy, and India - the current, previous and incoming G20 Presidencies, respectively.
- Italy hosted the G20 summit during October 30-31, 2021.
- On 2nd December 2021, Indonesia assumed the G20 Presidency and will convene various G20 meetings throughout the year, culminating with the G20 Leaders’ summit on 30-31 October 2022 under the overall theme of "Recover Together Recover Stronger”.
China’s New Land Border Protection Law
On 23 October 2021, China has passed a law to strengthen border protection.
- This is the first time that the People's Republic of China, founded 72 years ago, has a dedicated law specifying how it governs and guards its 22,000-km (14,000-mile) land border.
- The Land Borders Law will come into effect on Jan. 1, 2022.
India, Israel, US and UAE: A New ‘Quad’ in the Offing
After the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (QSD, also known as the Quad or QUAD) - a strategic dialogue between the United States, India, Japan and Australia, a new ‘Quad’ is emerging.
- Recently, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and his counterparts from Israel, the US and the UAE have agreed to establish a forum for economic cooperation at a virtual quadrilateral meeting (on 18 October 2021).
60th Anniversary of Non-Aligned Movement
Recently, a two-day (11-12 October 2021) summit was organized at Belgrade, the capital of Serbia to observe the 60th anniversary of Non-Aligned Movement.
- Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev chaired the summit via a video link.
5th Joint Meeting Of The India-Japan Act East Forum
Recent Naval Exercises Of India
Generalized System Of Preferences (GSP) Trade Privilege
India is likely to press Biden Administration for early restoration of the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) trade privilege for India.
US Extends Ban On Employment-Based Visas
- On 23rd June 2020, the US President signed an executive order extending the ban on immigrant and non-immigrant worker visas.