News Crux Awards
- On 31 March 2021, the Association for Computing Machinery, the world’s largest society of computing professionals, declared Dr. Aho and Dr. Ullman as the winners of this year’s Turing Award for their work on the fundamental concepts that underpin computer programming languages.
- Given since 1966 and often called the Nobel Prize of computing, the Turing Award comes with a $1 million prize, which the two academics and longtime friends will split.
- Dr. Aho and Dr. Ullman helped refine one of the key components of a computer: the “compiler” that takes in software programs written by humans and turns them into something computers can understand (Machine Language).
News Crux Awards
GD Birla Award For Scientific Research
- Professor Suman Chakraborty, a faculty member at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur has been selected for the 30th GD Birla Award for Scientific Research for his outstanding contribution to engineering science and its applications in developing technologies for affordable healthcare.
- Instituted in 1991, the award is given by KK Birla Foundation.
- The award recognises eminent Indian scientists below the age of 50 for their original and outstanding contributions to any branch of science or technology.
News Crux Defence
DRDO Develops Advanced Chaff Technology
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed an Advanced Chaff Technology to safeguard the naval ships against enemy missile attack.
- Defence Laboratory Jodhpur (DLJ), a DRDO laboratory, has indigenously developed three variants of this critical technology namely Short Range Chaff Rocket (SRCR), Medium Range Chaff Rocket (MRCR) and Long Range Chaff Rocket (LRCR) meeting Indian Navy’s qualitative requirements.
- Recently, Indian Navy conducted trials of all three variants in the Arabian Sea on Indian Naval Ship and found the performance satisfactory.
- Chaff is a passive expendable electronic countermeasure technology used worldwide to protect naval ships from enemy’s radar and Radio Frequency (RF) missile seekers. The importance of this development lies in the fact that very less quantity of chaff material deployed in the air acts as decoy to deflect enemy’s missiles for safety of the ships.
- The DRDO has gained the expertise to meet the futuristic threats from adversaries. The technology is being given to the industry for production in large quantities.