News Crux Awards
Gandhi Peace Prize
- The Gandhi Peace Prize for the past two years ( 2019 and 2020) will be conferred on late Omani Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Said and Bangladeshi leader Sheikh Mujibur Rahman respectively.
- Late Sultan Qaboos is being recognised for his “unparalleled vision and leadership” in strengthening India-Oman relations and his efforts to promote peace and non-violence in the Gulf.
- Sheikh Mujibur Rahman is being recognized for his “immense and unparalleled contribution” in “inspiring the liberation of Bangladesh, bringing stability to a nation born out of strife, laying the foundation for the close and fraternal relations between India and Bangladesh, and promoting peace and non-violence in the Indian subcontinent”.
About the Prize
- The prize is given annually by the Govt. of India for social, economic and political transformation through non-violence and other Gandhian methods.
- A jury consisting of the Prime Minister of India, the Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha, the Chief Justice of India, Speaker of the Lok Sabha and one other eminent person decides the awardee each year.
- Note: A special exception was made for the award to be conferred on the two leaders for the year 2019 and 2020, as the selection procedure for the prize does not allow it to be awarded posthumously.
News Crux Awards
67th National Film Awards
The 67th National Film Awards for the year 2019 were announced on 22nd March 2021.
The chairman of the Jury was N. Chandra.
Major Awards/Awardees in different Categories
- Best Film: Marakkar Arabikkadilinte Simham (Malayalam) - directed by Priyadarshan
- Best Director: Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan (for Hindi film Bahattar Hoorain)
- Best Actor: Manoj Bajpayee (Hindi movie Bhonsle) and Dhanush (Tamil Movie Asuran)
- Best Actress: Kangana Ranaut (for Manikarnika -The Queen of Jhansi and Panga).
- Best Male Playback Singer: B Praak (for song Teri Mitti in Hindi Film Kesari)
- Best Female Playback Singer: Savani Ravindra (for song Rann Petala in Marathi Movie Bardo)
- Best Music Director: D Imman (for his songs in Tamil Fim Vishwasam)
- Nargis Dutt Award for Best Feature Film on National Integration: Taj Mahal (Marathi) - directed by Niyaz Mujawar
- Best Film on Other Social Issues: Anandi Gopal (Marathi) - directed by Sameer Vidwans
- Best Film on Environment Conservation/Preservation: Water Burial(Monpa) -directed by Shantanu Sen
- Best Children's Film: Kastoori (Hindi) – directed by Vinod Uttreshwar Kamble
- Best Hindi Film: Chhichore – directed by Nitesh Tiwari
Non Feature Firm
- Best Non Feature Film: An Engineered Dream (Hindi) directed by Hemant Gaba
- Best Animation Film: Radha – directed by Bimal Poddar
- Best Art and Culture Film: Shrikhetra ru Sahijata (Odia) - directed by Ashutosh Pattnaik
- Best Environment Film: The Stork Saviours(Hindi) – directed by Ajay Bedi & Vijay Bedi
- Best Film on Social Issues:Holy Rights (Hindi) – directed by Farha Khatun
- Best Educational Film: Apples and Oranges (English) – directed by Rukshana Tabassum
- Most Film Friendly State: Sikkim
- Best Book on Cinema: A Gandhian Affair: India's Curious Portrayal of Love in Cinema - by Sanjay Suri
News Crux Bill/Act
Mines And Minerals (Development And Regulation) Amendment Bill 2021
- The Parliament has passed the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Amendment Bill 2021.
- The Bill seeks to amend the Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act, 1957 and provides for removal of distinction between captive and merchant mines.
- It empowers the Central Government to issue directions regarding composition and utilization of funds maintained by the District Mineral Foundation.
- The legislation provides that captive mines other than atomic minerals may sell up to 50 per cent of their annual mineral production in the open market after meeting their own needs.
- The Bill empowers the central government to specify a time period for completion of the auction process in consultation with the state government.
- Note: The Government is proposing to make National Mineral Exploration Trust NMET an autonomous and professional body, which would provide funds for exploration.