Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban) 2.0
- During her Budget speech, the Finance Minister announced that Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban) 2.0 will be launched under the “Health and Wellbeing” vertical.
- In this mission, focus will be on complete fecal sludge management, waste water treatment, source segregation of garbage, reduction in single use plastic, reduction in air pollution by effectively managing waste from construction and demolition activities, and bio-remediation of all legacy dumpsites.
- This will be a continuation of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban), with the following components for funding and implementation across all statutory towns:
- Sustainable sanitation (construction of toilets)
- Wastewater treatment, including fecal sludge management in all ULBs with less than 1 lakh population (this is a new component added to SBM-U 2.0)
- Solid Waste Management
- Information, Education and Communication, and
- Capacity building.
At the end of the Mission, the following outcomes are expected to be achieved:
- All statutory towns will become ODF+ certified
- All statutory towns with less than 1 lakh population will become ODF++ certified,
- 50% of all statutory towns with less than 1 lakh population will become Water+ certified,
- All statutory towns will be at least 3-star Garbage Free rated as per MoHUA’s Star Rating Protocol for Garbage Free cities,
- Bio-remediation of all legacy dumpsites.