News Crux Science & Technology
‘AmbiTAG’: India’s First Indigenous Temperature Data Logger
- A first-of-its-kind Internet of Things (IoT) device – AmbiTag has been developed by the researchers at the IIT Ropar Technology Innovation Hub - AWaDH and its startup ScratchNest.
- The device records real-time ambient temperature during the transportation of perishable products, body organs, and blood, vaccines, etc. The AmbiTag temperature data log advises the user whether the transported item is usable or the cold chain has been compromised during the transportation.
- It generates an alert when the temperature goes beyond a pre-set limit. The recorded data can be retrieved in user-defined format by connecting the USB with any computer.
- AmbiTag is a USB-shaped device that continuously records the temperature of its immediate surroundings from -40℃ to 80℃ in any time zone for a full 90 days on a single charge. Most of the similar devices available in the international market record data only for a duration of 30 - 60 days.
News Crux Obituary
T.M. Kaliannan: Last Surviving Member Of The Constituent Assembly, Passes Away
- T.M. Kalliannan Gounder, the last surviving former member of the Indian Constituent Assembly, died at the age of 101.
- He was reportedly the youngest member in the Constituent Assembly then and also a member of India’s first provisional parliament.
News Crux Appointment
Arun Kumar Mishra: First Non-CJI NHRC Chief
- Former Supreme Court judge Arun Mishra took charge as the eighth chairperson of the National Human Rights Commission on 2 June 2021.
- Justice Mishra is the first non-CJI to be appointed to the NHRC chief post since the amendment of the Protection of Human Rights Act in 2019.
- The Chairperson and Members of the Commission are appointed by the President on the basis of recommendations of a Committee comprising the Prime Minister as the Chairperson, the Speaker of Lok Sabha, the Home Minister, the leaders of the opposition in the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha and the Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha as Members.
- NHRC does not have any mechanism of investigation. In majority cases, it asks the concerned Central and State Governments to investigate the cases of the violation of Human Rights.
News Crux Social Inclusion
Expert Group On Fixation Of Minimum Wages And National Floor Wages
- The Ministry of Labour & Employment Government has constituted an Expert Group to provide technical inputs and recommendations on fixation of Minimum Wages and National Floor Minimum Wages.
- The Group has been constituted for a period of three years.
- The Expert Group is chaired by Prof Ajit Mishra, Director, Institute of Economic Growth.
News Crux Health
WHO Names Covid-19 Variants
The World Health Organization (WHO) has announced Greek alphabetical labels to identify different strains of Covid-19 that have emerged across the world.
- The WHO's decision to rename Covid variants came nearly three weeks after India objected to the B.1.617 variant being termed an "Indian variant" in media reports.
|Variants||Country of First Detection||Name|
- The first such variant of concern, which first appeared in Britain and can be also known as B.1.1.7, will be known as the "alpha" variant.
- The second, which turned up in South Africa and has been referred to as B.1.351, will be known as the "beta" variant.
- A third variant that first appeared in Brazil will be called the "gamma" variant.
- The variant B.1.617, first found in India, is split into sub-lineages, of which the B.1.617.1 variant of concern becomes 'Kappa'. The B.1.617.2 variant of interest is called 'Delta'.