News Crux Ecology & Environment
Three-banded Rosefinch: 1340th Species Of The Bird Family In India
- On 8th February 2021, the Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS) team has spotted the three-banded Rosefinch at Sela (mountain pass on the border between Tawang and West Kameng districts) in Arunachal Pradesh.
- It has become the 1,340th species of the bird family in India.
- The three-banded rosefinch belongs to the family Fringillidae, which are seed-eating passerine birds with a distinctively conical bill.
- The three-banded rosefinch is a resident of southern China and a vagrant in Bhutan.
- The researchers observed that the three-banded rosefinch may be using the high altitude temperate coniferous forest of Arunachal Pradesh as a passage while migrating from China to Bhutan.
- Its conservation status is ‘Least Concern’ (Population stable).