News Crux Appointment & Resignation
Amitabh Kant appointed as G20 Sherpa
Former NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant has been appointed as the Sherpa for G-20 Summit.
- Kant will take over from Union Minister Piyush Goyal.
- There are 20 members in the group: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, South Korea, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States, and the European Union.
- Its members account for more than 80% of global GDP, 75% of global trade, and 60% of the global population.
G20 & India
- India has been a member of the G20 since its inception in 1999.
- India will take over G20 presidency from Indonesia on 2nd December and host the G20 summit in November 2023.
- The sherpas are in charge of carrying out negotiations and building consensus among Leaders.
- They are also responsible for convening working groups, and special events throughout the year.
News Crux Places In News
Mangarh Hillock: Adivasis’ Jallianwala
The National Monument Authority recently submitted a report to the Union Ministry of Culture to declare Mangarh Hillock a ‘Monument of National Importance’.
- The hillock, situated at the Gujarat-Rajasthan border, is a site of a tribal uprising where a massacre of over 1500 Bhil tribal freedom fighters took place in 1913.
- The place is also known as the Adivasi Jallianwala.
About Bhil Reformer Govind Guru & the Background for the Massacre