News Crux Defence/Military Exercises
Exercise ‘Bold Kurukshetra’
The Indian Army and the Singapore Army successfully concluded the 13th edition of the bilateral armour exercise, "Exercise Bold Kurukshetra," held at the Jodhpur Military Station from 06-13 March 2023.
The exercise aims:
- To enhance the interoperability and coordination between the Indian Army and the Singapore Army in the domain of mechanised warfare and joint operations.
- To exchange knowledge, experiences, and best practices regarding modern combat procedures, tactics, and technologies, thereby improving the combat readiness and effectiveness of both armies.
- To deepen the strategic and defence partnership between India and Singapore by promoting mutual trust, understanding, and cooperation.
- To simulate various tactical scenarios and challenges through computer wargaming and command post exercises, and test the response capabilities and decision-making processes of both armies.
- To provide a platform for joint training and professional exchanges between the soldiers, officers, and commanders of both armies, and to strengthen the people-to-people ties between the two nations.
Current News International International Trade & Treaties
On March 14, 2023, the United States Senate has recognized the McMahon Line, by passing a bipartisan resolution, as the international boundary between China and Arunachal Pradesh.
- Arunachal Pradesh Integral Part of India: The resolution also acknowledges Arunachal Pradesh as an integral part of India and expresses support for India's sovereignty and territorial integrity.
- Condemnation of China's Aggression:It condemns China's military aggression and expansionist policies, including its attempts to change the status quo along the Line of Actual Control, construct villages in disputed areas, and assert territorial claims in Bhutan.
- Commendation of India's Measures: It also commends India for taking steps to secure its telecommunications infrastructure, examine procurement processes and supply chains, implements investment screening standards, and expand cooperation with Taiwan in public health and other sectors.
- Strengthening of US-India Partnership: It aims to deepen the US-India bilateral partnership in defense, technology, economics, and people-to-people ties, and promote multilateral cooperation through forums such as the Quad and the East Asia Summit.
The McMahon Line is a boundary line between China and India that was drawn by British colonial officials in 1914.
Current News National Study/Survey/Report/Index
IPES-Food Report: Global Hunger Crisis amidst High Debt Levels and UrgentNeed for Action
The International Panel of Experts on Sustainable Food Systems (IPES-Food) has released a report, on March 6, 2023, bringing attention to the growing global hunger crisis and high levels of debt distress.
- Global public debt has reached its highest levels in almost 60 years, forcing countries to choose between repaying debts and feeding people.
- About 60% of low-income countries and 30% of middle-income countries are at high risk of debt distress or already in debt distress.
- The poorest countries in the world have seen the costs of servicing their debt increase by 35% in 2022.
- 62 developing countries spent more on debt payments than on healthcare during the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 45 countries were in need of external food assistance by November 2022, with 349 million people facing acute food insecurity and 49 million on the brink of famine.
The report recommended the following measures:
- Debt relief is needed to prevent a global hunger crisis. It also includes providing funding for healthcare, social safety nets, and economic stimulus.
- Climate change is exacerbating food insecurity, and debt relief is needed to support the development of climate-resilient food systems.
- Debt relief is a crucial component of efforts to achieve sustainable development goals, especially in the context of the global hunger crisis as highlighted by the report.