Current News Ecology & Environment
National Mission On Use Of Biomass In Coal Based Thermal Power Plants
The Power Ministry has decided to set up a National Mission on the use of Biomass in coal based thermal power plants.
- The modalities of operation and structure of the Nation Mission are under finalization. It is being envisaged that the Mission will have a Steering Committee headed by the Power Secretary comprising all stakeholders including representatives from Petroleum and New and Renewable Energy Ministries.
- The National Mission on biomass will also contribute to the National Clean Air Programme.
- Air Pollution: It is intended to address the issue of air pollution due to farm stubble-burning and to reduce the carbon footprints of thermal power generation.
- Energy Transition: It will also further support the energy transition in the country and its targets to move towards cleaner energy sources.
- Co-Firing: The Mission will increase the level of co-firing from the present five percent to higher levels to have a larger share of carbon-neutral power generation from the thermal power plants. Besides, it will consider regulatory issues in biomass co-firing.
- Supply Chain: It will also work to facilitate overcoming the constraints in the supply chain of biomass pellets and agro- residue and its transport upto to the power plants.
News Crux Committee/Commission
Nilesh Shah Committee On Investment Funds
- The International Financial Services Centres Authority (IFSCA), in its endeavour to develop a comprehensive and consistent regulatory framework based on global best practices with a special focus on ease of doing business, has constituted an Expert Committee on Investment Funds to recommend to IFSCA on the road map for the funds industry in the IFSCs.
- The Committee has been constituted under the Chairmanship of Mr. Nilesh Shah, MD, Kotak Mahindra Asset Management Co. Ltd.
News Crux Science & Technology
NASA To Launch VIPER In 2023
- NASA’s Volatiles Investigating Polar Exploration Rover, or VIPER, is a mobile robot that will go to the South Pole of the Moon to get a close-up view of the location and concentration of water ice that could eventually be harvested to sustain human exploration on the Moon, Mars — and beyond.
- VIPER is planned for delivery to the lunar surface in late 2023 under NASA’s Commercial Lunar Payload Services (CLPS) program.
- VIPER represents the first resource mapping mission on another celestial body.
News Crux Appointment
Subodh Jaiswal Appointed As New CBI Director
- Former Mumbai Police chief and current head of CISF Subodh Kumar Jaiswal has been appointed as the new CBI Director.
- The CBI Director is appointed by the Central Government on the recommendation of a three-member committee consisting of the Prime Minister as Chairperson, the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha and the Chief Justice of India or Judge of the Supreme Court nominated by him.
- In case there is no recognized leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha, then the leader of the single largest opposition party in the Lok Sabha would be a member of that committee.