Why is it in News?
The Indian Navy has launched Guided Missile Destroyer INS Imphal from Mazagon Dock Mumbai.
About INS Imphal:
- INS Imphal is the third ship to be launched under Project 15B (first was INS Vishakhapatnam & 2nd was INS Mormugao).
- The warships built under the project are propelled by four gas turbines to achieve speed of 30 knots approximately.
- They have a length of 163 metres and 17.4 metres at the beam and a displacement of 7.300 tonnes.
- The ship was named in recognition of the Indian soldiers who fought in Battle of Imphal during World War II. It is the first Indian Navy ship named after a city in Northeast India.
What is Project 15B?
- It is a project to develop world class warships for Indian Navy.
- Government of India in 2011 had sanctioned four 15B ships at the cost of Rs. 29,700 crore to develop a class of stealth guided missile destroyers for the Indian Navy.
- The Project 15B missile destroyers are modern warships equipped with latest weapons package in continuation of lineage of the highly successful Delhi and Kolkata Class ships.
- The first ship of the project 15B was INS Vishakhaptnam which was launched on April 20, 2015.
Source: Business Standard