Current Affairs - Science & Technology
The Ariane-5 launch vehicle put into orbit Space PSU NewSpace India Limited's (NSIL) GSAT-24 satellite.
- NSIL’s first dedicated commercial satellite launch mission, the GSAT-24, is a dedicated satellite for Tata Play’s (formerly TataSky) direct-to-home (DTH) services.
Anocovax is the first Indian Covid-19 vaccine for animals.
- It has been developed by Haryana's ICAR-National Research Centre on Equines.
China has released a new geological map of the moon, to a scale of 1:2500000 which is the most detailed to date, registering even finer details of the lunar surface than mapped by the US in 2020.
India has set up a liquid-mirror telescope, the country's first and the largest in Asia.
- It is located at an altitude of 2,450 metres at the Devasthal Observatory campus of Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES), an autonomous institute under the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India in Nainital district, Uttarakhand.
On 20th April 2022, Oil India Limited (OIL) has commissioned India’s first 99.999% pure Green Hydrogen pilot plant, with an installed capacity of 10 kg per day at its Jorhat Pump Station in Assam.
- This is a first significant step towards Green Hydrogen Economy in India.
Pharmaceutical major Cadila Pharmaceuticals has developed the world's first novel three-dose vaccine against rabies.
- The three-dose vaccine, named as 'ThRabis', is a recombinant nano-particle based G protein vaccine which is prepared using Virus-like Particle technology.
Using data from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory astronomers have spotted signs of a planet in a star system outside the Milky Way, which, if it's confirmed, would be the first ever found in another galaxy.
- The possible planet was discovered in a spiral galaxy called Messier 51, also known as the Whirlpool Galaxy, more than 23 million light-years from Earth.
On 14th October 2021, China launched the Chinese H-alpha Solar Explorer (CHASE) and 10 other satellites into orbit during its 37th orbital launch of the year.
- CHASE is the country's first solar observatory equipped with a solar telescope that will observe the deep-red H-Alpha line of the solar spectrum that will help scientists in observing and studying solar flares.
A recent study by a team of geneticists from Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad has revealed that the ‘Y chromosome’ has some other functions as well other than sex determination.
- The research suggests that beyond determining the gender of a person, the Y chromosome also regulates genes on other chromosomes involved in male reproduction.