Awards Conferred On Prime Minister – Sign Of Increasing Soft Power Of India
Conferment of highest civilian awards especially by Muslim countries clearly shows greater recognition to secular credentials of India which is the ground for the good relations of India with West Asian Muslim countries. It is also a clear sign of greater acceptability and better articulation and projection of the soft power of the nation. Along with highest civilian awards, awards related to environment, bilateral ties and peace promotion was also conferred on the Indian Prime Minister which shows the credible activeness of India in these domains.
Some of the Notable Awards Conferred on PM
- King Hamad Order of the Renaissance: On 25 August, 2019 Bahrain’s King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, honoured Indian Prime Minister with ‘King Hamad Order of the Renaissance’- First Class, for strengthening bilateral relations of India with the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- Zayed Medal: On 24 August, 2019, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), conferred the Order of Zayed award on Indian Prime Minister in recognition of his “pivotal role” in strengthening ties between the two nations. The Zayed Medal is the highest decoration of the UAE awarded to kings, presidents and heads of states.
- ‘Order of St Andrew the Apostle’: On 12 April, 2019 Russia honoured Indian Prime Minister with the Order of St Andrew the Apostle, the highest order of the Russian Federation, for promoting partnership and friendly relations between the two countries.
- Seoul Peace Prize 2018: On 24 October, 2018, The Seoul Peace Prize Committee conferred the 2018 Seoul Peace Prize on Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his contributions to the growth of the Indian and global economies, crediting ‘Modinomics’ for reducing social and economic disparity between the rich and the poor.
- Champions of the Earth Award: On September 26, 2018, Indian Prime Minister was awarded with the Champions of the Earth Award 2018, the highest environmental honors of the United Nations. The United Nations Environment Programme established Champions of the Earth in 2005 as an annual awards programme to recognize outstanding environmental leaders from the public and private sectors, and from civil society.
- Grand Collar of the State of Palestine: On February 10, 2018, Indian Prime Minister was conferred with the ‘Grand Collar of the State of Palestine’ by Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas for his contribution in promoting relations between India and Palestine.
- Amir Amanullah Khan Award: Prime Minister Narendra Modi, during his brief visit to Afghanistan, was on June 4, 2016, conferred with the Amir Amanullah Khan Award, the highest civilian honour of Afghanistan. He was awarded the honour by Afghan President Ashraf Ghani following the inauguration of the landmark Afghan-India Friendship Dam.
- King Abdulaziz Sash: On 3 April, 2016, Indian Prime Minister was, conferred with Saudi Arabia’s highest civilian honour ‘King Abdulaziz Sash’ by King Salman bin Abdulaziz. The King Abdulaziz Sash Award is named after Abdulaziz Al Saud, the founder of the modern Saudi state.
- These awards highlight the growing importance of India in world’s politics and increasing affirmative tilt of world towards Indian.