Chitra GeneLAMP-N Test Kit
- Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, Trivandrum, an Institute of National Importance, of the Department of Science and Technology (DST), has developed a diagnostic test kit that can confirm COVID19 in 2 hours at low cost.
About Chitra GeneLAMP-N
- The test kit, funded by the DST called Chitra GeneLAMP-N, is highly specific for SARS-CoV-2 N-gene and can detect two regions of the gene.
- It will help ensure that the test does not fail even if one region of the viral gene undergoes mutation during its current spread.
Mode of Working
- The confirmatory diagnostic test detects the N Gene of SARS- COV2 using reverse transcriptase loop-mediated amplification of viral nucleic acid (RT-LAMP).
- The tests performed at NIV Alappuzha (authorized by ICMR) show that Chitra GeneLAMP- N has 100% accuracy and match with test results using RT-PCR.
- The results can be read from the machine from the change in fluorescence.
- Current PCR kits in India enable detection of E gene for screening and RdRp gene for confirmation.
- Chitra GeneLAMP-N gene testing will allow confirmation in one test without the need for a screening test and at much lower costs.
- The cost of testing with the new device for LAMP testing and the test kit for 2 regions of N gene( including RNA extraction) will be less than Rs 1000/test for the laboratory.
- The detection time is 10 minutes, and the sample to result time (from RNA extraction in swab to RT-LAMP detection time) will be less than 2 hours.
- A total of 30 samples can be tested in a single batch in a single machine allowing a large number of samples to be tested each day.
- The testing facility can be easily set up even in the laboratories of district hospitals with limited facilities and trained laboratory technicians.
Reverse Transcription Loop-mediated Isothermal Amplification (RT-LAMP)