RT-LAMP Based Test For Coronavirus
- As part of COVID-19 mitigation mission of Country, CSIR-IIIM, Jammu a constituent laboratory of CSIR has partnered with Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) to develop and scale-up a new Reverse Transcriptase-Loop Mediated Isothermal Amplification (RT-LAMP) based COVID-19 diagnostic kit.
- It has been tested with a small number of patients samples and validating the kit on more number of patient samples is planned and will be done together with RIL.
COVID-19 RT-LAMP Test
- COVID-19 RT-LAMP test is a nucleic acid based test carried out from nasal/throat swab sample from patients.
- The test recipe has been developed and successfully demonstrated using synthetic templates.
- It is rapid (45-60 min), cost effective and accurate test.
- RT-LAMP based COVID-19 kit components are easily available and these can be completely manufactured in India.
- RT-LAMP test can be done in a single tube with minimal expertise in a very basic lab setup like mobile units / kiosks for testing at Airports, Railway Stations, Bus Stands and other public places.
- The end detection of the test is a simple colored reaction, which is easily visible in UV light, and now is being modified such that it can be detected in regular light.
- With the formal launch of the RT-LAMP based diagnostic test, the COVID-19 testing will not only be more rapid, cheap, easy and accessible but also would go a long way quickly isolating the infected individuals and mitigating the spread of virus.
Advantage over Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)