National Reports On Arms Export/ Imports
Why is it in News?
India is the world’s 2nd largest arms importer as per the reports of SIPRI.
About the Report:
- During 2009-13, India was the world’s largest arms importer, but in a recent report released by SIPRI (Stockholm International Peace Research Institute), India is at the 2nd position and Saudi Arabia has become the largest importer of arms in the world.
- A total of 155 countries imported major arms in 2014–18. The top five arms importers - Saudi Arabia, India, Egypt, Australia and Algeria - accounted for 35% of total arms imports in 2014–18.
- 67 countries exported major arms in 2014–18. The top five - the US, Russia, France, Germany and China - accounted for 75% of all arms exports. The top five in 2014–18 were the same as in 2009–13 but their combined total exports of major arms were 10% higher.
- SIPRI is an international institute based in Sweden, dedicated to research into conflict, armaments, arms control and disarmament.
- It was established in 1966 and is based in Stockholm, Sweden.
- SIPRI provides data, analysis and recommendations, based on open sources, to policymakers, researchers, media and the interested public.