National Institute Ranking Framework (NIRF)
Why is it in News?
In NIRF 2019, IIT-Madras has topped the list followed by IISC-Bangalore.
- The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) is a methodology adopted by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India, to rank institutions of higher education in India.
- It was launched by MHRD in 2015.
- There are separate rankings for different types of institutions depending on their areas of operation like universities and colleges, engineering institutions, management institutions, pharmacy institutions and architecture institutions.
Methodology Adopted to Rank Institutions:
Every institution is broadly rated on five parameters:-1. Teaching Learning & Resources
- This parameter is related to the core activities of any place of learning.
- Example:-Faculty Student ratio, number of faculties with PHD etc.
2. Research and Professional Practice
- It includes number of papers filed by faculty & students in International Journals, Patents, IPR etc.
3. Graduation Outcome
- This parameter forms the ultimate test of the effectiveness of the core teaching/learning in institution. It includes number of placements, average salary to students placed, students opting for higher studies etc.
4. Outreach & Inclusivity
- The Ranking framework lays special emphasis on representation of women in institutions, students from different states, students from physically handicapped domain etc.
- The ranking methodology gives a significant importance to the perception of the institution by its students, public & alumni etc.
Weightage Alloted to Different Parameters:
For ranking of Universities, 30% weightage is given to Teaching & Learning; Methodologies & Research; Professional Practice, while 20% weightage is given to Graduation Outcome; 10% weightage is given to Outreach; Inclusivity and Perception.
- Appointment & Resignation
- Awards In News
- Defence/Military Exercises
- Ecology & Environment
- Famous Books
- Important Days/Weeks
- Important Decade
- Organisation In News
- Persons In News
- Places In News
- Plans & Policy
- Scheme & Programme
- Science & Technology
- Species In News
- Summit, Seminars & Conferences
- Web Portal & Apps
State In News