News Crux Ecology & Environment
Recently, scientists raised concerns about the disappearance of horseshoe crabs from their spawning grounds along Chandipur and Balaramgadi coast in Odisha.
- Threats to Horseshoe Crabs: Unregulated fishing and damage to eggs by locals.
- Medicinal Value: Horseshoe crab blood is crucial for development of rapid diagnostic reagents and potential treatment for pre-eclampsia (Note: Pre-eclampsia is a serious pregnancy complication characterized by high blood pressure and damage to organs, most commonly the liver and kidneys).
- Importance for Human Health: Horseshoe crabs' strong immune system critical for medical research.
- Warning of Extinction: Scientist who discovered horseshoe crabs warns of their impending disappearance in India.
- Conservation Measures: Odisha government must protect breeding grounds and prevent destructive fishing practicesbydeveloping SpeciesRecovery Plan.
News Crux Science & Technology
Recently, researchers at the Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA), Bengaluru, developed a low-cost star sensor called Starberry-Sense.
- The Starberry-Sense is based on commercial/off-the-shelf components and is powered by a Raspberry Pi, a small, single-board Linux computer, making it affordable and accessible.
- It can help small CubeSat (cube-shaped satellite)class satellite missions to find their orientation in space.
- The team coupled highly optimized algorithms with Raspberry Pi to create a potent star sensor.
- Starberry-Sense has successfully undergone vibration and thermal vacuum tests, qualifying it for space launch and operations.
- The sensor's success can lead to cost-effective solutions for small satellite missions in the future, revolutionizing space exploration.
Raspberry Pi is widely used in hobbyist and educational projects, as well as in professional applications. It was developed by the Raspberry Pi Foundation in the UK and is designed to be affordable and accessible.
News Crux Miscellaneous
On March 17, 2023, External Affairs Minister of India inaugurated the Sri Lankan exhibition "Geoffrey Bawa: It is Essential to be There" at the National Gallery of Modern Art in New Delhi.
- The exhibition features the works of Sri Lanka's iconic architect, the late Geoffrey Bawa, and marks the 75th anniversary of Indo-Lanka diplomatic relations.
- This is the first major retrospective exhibition of Bawa's works to be shown internationally since 2004, and includes over 120 documents from the Bawa archives.
- The exhibition explores relationships between ideas, drawings, buildings, and places, and the different ways in which images were used in Bawa's practice.
- The exhibition, organized under the Sri Lanka-India Cultural Exchange Programme, will be on display until May 7, 2023.