Current Affairs - Miscellaneous
On 21st Sept, Indian President inaugurated the first Uttar Pradesh International Trade Show at India Expo Centre and Mart in Greater Noida.
The event, a collaborative effort by the UP Government and India Exposition Mart Limited (IEML), is set to run from September 21 to 25.
- Venue and Purpose: The five-day extravaganza unfolds at the India Expo Mart in Knowledge Park, Greater Noida. Its primary aim is to provide international exposure and market opportunities for Uttar Pradesh's products, specialties, cuisine, and culture.
- Diverse Exhibitors: Over 2000 exhibitors will display their offerings spanning various sectors, including automobiles, handicrafts, healthcare, food processing, pharmaceuticals, dairy, electronics, and e-commerce.
- Informative Sessions: State government departments, institutions, and even the renowned Mumbai Dabbawala will conduct informative sessions on a range of business activities.
- Boost to Start-ups: Additionally, the trade show will host 108 new startups eager to showcase their innovations.
On 19th September, 2023, the Prime Minister announced the new name for the old parliament building, which will now be known as "Samvidhan Sadan" or Constitution House.
- Significance: This historic structure, designed by British architects Sir Edwin Lutyens and Herbert Baker, was completed in 1927 and has witnessed pivotal moments in Indian history, including the drafting and passing of India's constitution.
- Honouring the Building's History: The Prime Minister paid tribute to every aspect of the old Parliament building, acknowledging its role in shaping India's democratic history.
- Conservation as an Archaeological Marvel: It is planned to conserve the old Parliament building as an archaeological marvel of India, recognizing its historical and architectural significance.
On 17th September, 2023, Ram Manohar Lohia (RML) Hospital in Delhi unveiled India's first specialized Outpatient Department (OPD) catering to the transgender community.
- Initiative Motivation: The launch of this dedicated OPD coincided with Prime Minister Narendra Modi's birthday and was initiated to address the unique healthcare needs of the transgender community.
- Facility Enhancements: As part of this initiative, a dedicated restroom facility will be made available within the hospital premises for transgender patients.
On 14th September, 2023, Chief Justice of India announced the integration of the Supreme Court's data with the National Judicial Data Grid (NJDG) portal, marking the completion of a comprehensive merger of all three tiers of the Indian judiciary on this platform.
- Integration of Supreme Court Data: The portal is designed to provide real-time updates and comprehensive information about the Supreme Court, including monthly and annual statistics on filed cases, cases disposed of, and pending cases, readily accessible with a simple click.
- Efficient Management of Oldest Cases: This integration will provide a robust database for the Chief Justice of India to expedite the resolution of these longstanding cases.
- Accessing the NJDG-SCI Portal: The NJDG-SCI portal can be conveniently accessed through the Supreme Court's official website. Users can simply click on the tab labeled "NJDG SUPREME COURT OF INDIA" to access the integrated data.
On 13th September, 2023, the President of India officially launched the 'National e-Vidhan Application' (NeVA) and delivered an address at the Gujarat Legislative Assembly in Gandhinagar.
- Digital Transformation of the Assembly: President highlighted that the inauguration of the E-Assembly, powered by the National e-Vidhan Application (NeVA), signifies a significant step toward transforming the Assembly into a Digital House.
- Enhancing Efficiency and Transparency: NeVA would enable the members of the Assembly to adopt and learn from the best practices of the Parliament and other Legislative Assemblies across the nation.
- This initiative, aligned with the goal of "one nation one application," would enhance the speed and transparency of the Assembly's operations while facilitating a paperless environment, promoting environmental conservation.
Recently, State Bank of India (SBI) introduced the 'Nation First Transit Card' to enhance customer commuting convenience, enabling digital fare payments for metro, buses, water ferries, and parking using a single card.
- Enhancing Commuting Experience: The card aims to provide a seamless and convenient commuting experience, allowing digital ticketing fare payments for various modes of transportation, including metro, buses, water ferries, and parking, all through a single card.
- Expanding Use Cases: In addition to transportation, the RuPay NCMC Prepaid Card can be used for retail and e-commerce payments.
- RuPay and NCMC Technology: The 'Nation First Transit Card' is powered by RuPay and National Common Mobility Card (NCMC) technology.
- Alignment with National Vision: SBI's Chairman noted that the card aligns with the national vision of "One Nation One Card."
Recently, a towering 28-feet-tall statue of 'Nataraja', believed to be the world's tallest, has been placed at Bharat Mandapam, the host site for the upcoming G20 Summit in Delhi, symbolizing Lord Shiva as the 'Lord of Dance' and his cosmic power.
- Cosmic Power Depiction: The statue embodies the cosmic power of creation and destruction associated with Lord Shiva.
- Culture Corridor: The Ministry of Culture will unveil a 'Culture Corridor' at Bharat Mandapam on the summit's opening day.
Recently, Chokuwa rice, known as "Magic rice," has been honoured with the prestigious Geographical Indication (GI) tag, recognizing its exceptional qualities and historical significance in Assam's culinary heritage.
- Ancient Legacy: Chokuwa rice, often referred to as Magic rice, has been a dietary staple for centuries. It holds a significant place in history as a primary food source for the troops of the esteemed Ahom dynasty.
- Geographical Origin: The cultivation of Chokuwa rice is exclusive to the Brahmaputra River region, spanning areas such as Tinsukia, Dhemaji, and Dibrugarh in Assam.
- Sali Rice Base: Chokuwa rice is a semi-glutinous winter rice variety, specifically categorized as Sali rice. Its uniqueness lies in its sticky and glutinous characteristics, further categorized into Bora and Chokuwa types based on their amylose content.
On 26th July, India AI, an IBD under Digital India Corporation, and Meta, India signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to foster collaboration in the field of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Emerging Technologies.
- Collaboration in AI and Emerging Technologies: The objective is to establish a framework for cooperation between the two entities and make Meta's open-source AI models available for use in the Indian AI ecosystem.
- Joint Research and Development Endeavors: The partnership aims to tackle large-scale challenges by leveraging cutting-edge AI technologies like Llama and other open-source solutions.
- Establishing a Centre of Excellence: 'India AI' and Meta may consider establishing a Centre of Excellence to nurture the AI and other Emerging Technologies startup ecosystem.
- The partnership will focus on building datasets in Indian languages, particularly for low-resource languages, to enable translation and large language models, promoting social inclusion and improving government service delivery.
- Enhancing Accessibility to AI Compute Resources: Both organizations aim to enhance accessibility to AI compute resources for researchers, startups, and organizations with limited resources.
- Workshops, seminars, conferences, and other platforms will facilitate knowledge sharing and collaboration in AI and Emerging Technologies.
- Developing AI Talent: 'India AI' and Meta are committed to developing programs and initiatives that enhance AI and Emerging Technologies skills and expertise among researchers, professionals, and students in India.
- Promoting Responsible AI Practices: The collaboration seeks to raise awareness about AI's potential benefits and risks among various stakeholders, including policymakers, businesses, civil society, and the general public.
On 25th July, 2023, Dr. Thani Al Zeyoudi, UAE's Minister for Foreign Trade, was elected as the chair of the World Trade Organisation's 13th Ministerial Conference scheduled for February 2024 in Abu Dhabi.
- The announcement was made during the WTO General Council in Geneva, where Dr Al Zeyoudi met with the WTO director-general, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.
- The conference will convene representatives from the 164 countries and customs blocs that constitute the WTO.
- The conference's agenda includes reviewing the trading system's performance, making decisions on future work, and setting up the roadmap for the subsequent conference.