Environmental Pollution, Degradation & Climate Change :
Consider the following statements with reference to the Petersberg Climate Dialogue:
- Petersberg Climate Dialogue has been organized by the Government of Russia since 2009.
- The 11th Dialogue was co-chaired by Germany and the United Kingdom, the incoming Presidency of 26th Conference of Parties (COP 26) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
With reference to the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL), consider the following statements:
- MARPOL is the main international convention covering prevention of pollution of the marine environment by ships from operational or accidental causes.
- The current convention is a combination of 1973 Convention and the 1978 Protocol, which entered into force on 2 October 1983.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
Recently, the world’s fourth largest emitter, Russia, formally adopted the Paris Agreement. Consider the following statements regarding the Paris Agreement:
- The Agreement came in to force on 22nd April 2016 – Earth Day – at UN Headquarters in New York.
- It aims to substantially reduce global greenhouse gas emissions in an effort to limit the global temperature increase in this century to 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels, while pursuing means to limit the increase to 2 degrees.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?