‘Rupay’ Kisan Credit Card
Question by: Rita Bahuguna Joshi
(a)whether the circulation of ‘Rupay’ Kisan Credit Card which has been created by National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) has come in vogue in the country;
(b)if so, the details thereof;
(c)whether the banks/financial institutions are likely to launch the variant of the cards to attach to this system;
(d)if so, the details thereof alongwith the number of cardholders and the number of ATMs dealing with this card proposed to be installed by banks during the current year; and
(e)the steps taken/being taken by the Government to improve security and streamline the payment process of this card?
Answer by: Minister of State in the Ministry of Finance (Anurag Singh Thakur)
- In terms of RBI’s Master Circular dated 04 July, 2018 on Kisan Credit Card (KCC) Scheme addressed to all Scheduled Commercial Banks, all KCC holders should be provided with any one or a combination of the following types of Smart Card/Debit Card.
- A magnetic stripe card with Personal Identification Number (PIN) with an International Standards Organization International Identification Number (ISO IIN) to enable access to all banks ATMs and micro ATMs.
- Banks may also issue debit cards with magnetic stripe and PIN with ISO IIN with biometric authentication of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
- Debit Cards with magnetic stripe and only biometric authentication can also be provided depending on customer base of the bank. Till such time, UIDAI becomes widespread, if the banks want to get started without inter-operability using their existing centralized bio metric infrastructure, banks may do so.
- Banks may choose to issue (Europay, Master Card and VISA, (EMV) (a global standard for interoperation of integrated circuit cards) and RUPAY compliant chip cards with magnetic stripe and pin with ISO IIN.
- National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) has reported that as per RBI’s mandate, all RuPay Debit and Credit Cards (including RuPay Kisan Card) are now working on EMV chip technology, which is secure chip with enhanced safety features.
- NPCI has further informed that RuPay Kisan Cards are issued by 97 banks which include Public Sector Banks, Private Sector Banks, Co-operatives Banks and Regional Rural Banks (RRBs) and around 25.01million RuPay Kisan Cards have been issued by these banks till date.
- RuPay Kisan Cards are accepted at all ATM in India. Furthermore, RuPay Kisan Card can also be used at 4.7million Point of Sale (POS) terminals and 90,000 E- Com websites in the country.