Total Fertility Rate (TFR)
Question by: Vishnu Dayal Ram
(a) the status of implementation of the Mission Parivar Vikas implemented in 145 high focus districts with the highest TFR and the results derived from the scheme;
(b) the steps being taken by the government to address high Total Fertility Rate (TFR) in Jharkhand; and
(c) the challenges being faced by the government in providing access to family planning services and quality contraceptives?
Answer by: The Minister of State in the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (Shri Ashwini Kumar Choubey)
- Mission Parivar Vikas Scheme is implemented across 146 high fertility districts in seven high focus states namely Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Assam.
- The Ministry reviews the progress and holds regular meetings with these states to monitor the performance in these identified districts. As seen from the HMIS data of 2019-20 and 2018-19, the Sterilization performance has shown an improvement of 12.4% and PPIUCD acceptance Rate has increased to 14.5% from 12.1%.
- Moreover, 27.5 lakh Sterilization, 21.4 lakh PPIUCD and 16.5 lakh Injectable contraceptive have been reported since inception.
- Under Mission Parivar Vikas, ASHAs distributed 9.4 Nayi Pehl Kits to newly-weds and conducted 5 lakh Saas Bahu Sammellans (SBS) since inception.
- Following steps have been taken by the Government to address high Total Fertility Rate (TFR) in states including Jharkhand are as follows:
- New Contraceptive Choices: The current contraceptive basket comprising of Condoms, combined oral contraceptive pills, emergency contraceptive pills, Intrauterine contraceptive uterine device (IUCD) and sterilization has been expanded with inclusion of two new contraceptives - Injectable contraceptive (Antara programme) and Centchroman (Chhaya)
- Post-partum Intrauterine contraceptive device (PPIUCD) incentive scheme under which PPIUCD services are provided post-delivery.
- Compensation scheme for sterilization acceptors which provides compensation for loss of wages to the beneficiary and also to the service provider and team for conducting sterilisation.
- National Family Planning Indemnity Scheme (NFPIS) under which clients are compensated in the eventualities of death, complication and failure following sterilization operations.
- Family Planning Logistics Management Information System (FP-LMIS): dedicated software has been launched to ensure smooth forecasting, procurement and distribution of family planning commodities across all the levels of health facilities.
- Mission Parivar Vikas has been introduced for substantially increasing access to contraceptives and family planning services in districts having TFR of more than 3.
- Scheme for Home Delivery of contraceptives by ASHAs at doorstep of beneficiaries has been taken up.
- Scheme for provision of Pregnancy Testing Kits in the drug kits of ASHA for use in communities.
- Under the National Health Mission, financial and technical support is provided to all States/ UTs for strengthening their health care delivery systems including provisioning for family planning services at the facilities.