Current Affairs - Agriculture & Allied Sector
Five Agricultural Products of Kerala granted GI Tag
Recently in December, 2022 five agricultural products of Kerala- Attappady Attukombu Avara, Attappady Thuvara, Onattukara Ellu, Kanthalloor-Vattavada Veluthulli, and Kodungalloor Pottuvellari have been granted Geographical Indication (GI) status.
Asian Palm Oil Alliance
The apex edible oil industry associations from five major palm oil importing countries in Asia have come together for the first time to form an alliance -- Asian Palm Oil Alliance (APOA).
- APOA was launched during the Globoil Summit at Agra on September 21. The summit is one of the World’s Leading Edible Oils and Agri Trade Conference, Exhibitions & Awards.
Recently, the Prime Minister addressed a Natural Farming Conclave, organised in Surat, Gujarat.
About Natural Farming
- It is a chemical-free alias traditional farming method.
Cabinet Approves Implementation of PMKSY
Recently, the Union government approved the extension of the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) till 2026 — a move expected to help fund irrigation projects that will increase water supply across northern India.
- As a part of the scheme, Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP), Watershed Development and Har Khet ko Paani (HKKP) components have been extended for 2021-26.
"Dairy Sahakar" Scheme Launched
"Dairy Sahakar" scheme was launched at Anand, Gujarat on 31st October 2021 during the function organised by Amul for celebration of 75th Foundation Year of Amul.
- The Dairy Sahakar with a total investment of Rs 5000 crore will be implemented by National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) under Ministry of Cooperation, Government of India to realize the vision, “from cooperation to prosperity".
Revamping of Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana
Aiming to roll out an overhauled Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) from kharif 2022, the government has constituted a working group comprising officials from Centre, key crop-producing states and top executives of public sector insurance companies to suggest “sustainable, financial and operational models.”
'Kanyakumari Clove' Gets GI Tag
- The clove grown in the hills of Kanyakumari district in Tamil Nadu has been awarded a geographical indication (GI).
- Due to the moderate temperature prevailing in Kanyakumari district, the fragrances in the cloves evaporate in small quantities, thus making it possible to obtain concentrated essential oils.
Assam’s Rice Wine ‘Judima’ receives GI Tag
Assam’s traditional Judima wine has been awarded the Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
- It is made from rice and a certain herb and widely popular among the Dimasa tribals.
- Judima is inseparable from the social and cultural life of the Dimasas.
Naga Cucumber receives GI Tag
Nagaland's "sweet cucumber" was awarded a geographical identification (GI) tag as an agricultural product under provisions of The Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999.
- The cucumber is one of the most important crops in the Northeast region.
- Nagaland has the fifth-highest cultivation of this fruit area-wise, and ranks third in production.
‘Hathei Chilli’ & ‘Tamenglong’ Orange of Manipur got GI Tag
The famous Hathei Chilli and Tamenglong Orange of Manipur have received the Geographical Index (GI) tag.
- Manipur has been promoting these two produce by celebrating the Orange Festival every December and Sirarakhong Hathei festival every August for over a decade now.