Current Affairs - Agriculture & Allied Sector
The apex edible oil industry associations from five major palm oil importing countries in Asia have come together for the first time to form an alliance -- Asian Palm Oil Alliance (APOA).
- APOA was launched during the Globoil Summit at Agra on September 21. The summit is one of the World’s Leading Edible Oils and Agri Trade Conference, Exhibitions & Awards.
Recently, the Union government approved the extension of the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) till 2026 — a move expected to help fund irrigation projects that will increase water supply across northern India.
- As a part of the scheme, Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP), Watershed Development and Har Khet ko Paani (HKKP) components have been extended for 2021-26.
"Dairy Sahakar" scheme was launched at Anand, Gujarat on 31st October 2021 during the function organised by Amul for celebration of 75th Foundation Year of Amul.
- The Dairy Sahakar with a total investment of Rs 5000 crore will be implemented by National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) under Ministry of Cooperation, Government of India to realize the vision, “from cooperation to prosperity".
Aiming to roll out an overhauled Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) from kharif 2022, the government has constituted a working group comprising officials from Centre, key crop-producing states and top executives of public sector insurance companies to suggest “sustainable, financial and operational models.”
- The clove grown in the hills of Kanyakumari district in Tamil Nadu has been awarded a geographical indication (GI).
- Due to the moderate temperature prevailing in Kanyakumari district, the fragrances in the cloves evaporate in small quantities, thus making it possible to obtain concentrated essential oils.
Nagaland's "sweet cucumber" was awarded a geographical identification (GI) tag as an agricultural product under provisions of The Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999.
- The cucumber is one of the most important crops in the Northeast region.
- Nagaland has the fifth-highest cultivation of this fruit area-wise, and ranks third in production.
The famous Hathei Chilli and Tamenglong Orange of Manipur have received the Geographical Index (GI) tag.
- Manipur has been promoting these two produce by celebrating the Orange Festival every December and Sirarakhong Hathei festival every August for over a decade now.
The Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare on 7th March 2021 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Central Silk Board under the Ministry of Textiles on a convergence model for the implementation of Agroforestry in the silk sector under the ongoing Sub-Mission on Agroforestry (SMAF) Scheme.