Why is it in News?
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test fired the first subsonic missile ‘Nirbhay’ from Chandipur coast of Odisha.
About the Nirbhay Missile System:
- It is a two stage missile system that has been indigenously developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- It is a long range subsonic missile system that can be launched from multiple platforms and is capable of carrying conventional and nuclear warheads.
- It is capable of cruising at an altitude as low as 0.1 km and has a range of around 1000km.
- It is capable of carrying warheads of up to 300kg at a speed of 0.6 to 0.7 Mach number.
- It is a non-dimensional number which is a ratio of velocity of object to the velocity of sound.
- Mach 1 means the speed of object is same as the speed of sound.
- Mach<1 implies speed of object is less than the speed of sound.
- Mach>1 implies speed of object is more than the speed of sound.
- If Mach number is greater than 5, it is generally referred to as hypersonic flow.
Source: The Diplomat, IE