Fishing Cat Designated As Ambassador Of Chilika Lake
- Fishing cat, the only wild cat species in India has been designated as ambassador of Chilika Lake, India’s oldest Ramsar site.
- Fishing cats are mostly found in marshlands fringing the north and north-eastern sections of the lake.
- The fishing cat is a Schedule I species and deserves conservation measures of the highest order in India, as with the tiger and elephant.
- IUCN status of the fishing cat is ‘Vulnerable’
- The conservation of the species is a concern as the marshland and mangrove ecosystems, which are fishing cat habitat are on decline.