Recipients of Bharat Ratna 2024
On 9th February, 2024, the prestigious Bharat Ratna, India's highest civilian award, was bestowed upon former Prime Ministers PV Narasimha Rao and Chaudhary Charan Singh, along with agricultural scientist MS Swaminathan in a significant recognition of their immense contributions to the nation.
- The Bharat Ratna awards, conferred on these eminent personalities, underscore their profound impact on India's socio-economic fabric. The recognition of their exemplary service comes as a tribute to their enduring legacies and transformative contributions to the nation's progress.
Chaudhary Charan Singh
- Recognized for his steadfast dedication to the welfare of farmers, Chaudhary Charan Singh, the fifth Prime Minister of India, was honored posthumously.
- Prime Minister praised Singh's unwavering commitment to democracy and his lifelong advocacy for farmers' rights, lauding his pivotal role in shaping the nation's agricultural landscape.
PV Narasimha Rao
- PV Narasimha Rao, India's 10th Prime Minister, received acclaim for ushering in a transformative era of economic development through bold reforms.
- PM credited Rao with pioneering measures that opened India to global markets and commended his multifaceted leadership, which left an indelible mark on India's foreign policy and cultural heritage.
- Revered as the 'Father of the Green Revolution,' Dr. MS Swaminathan was honored for his visionary leadership in revolutionizing Indian agriculture.
- PM Modi Swaminathan's pivotal role in achieving agricultural self-reliance, modernizing farming practices, and ensuring food security for the nation, highlighting his invaluable contributions as an innovator and mentor.
- The announcement follows the recent conferral of the Bharat Ratna upon BJP stalwart LK Advani and the late socialist icon Karpoori Thakur, reaffirming the government's commitment to honoring exceptional individuals who have left an indelible mark on the country's history and development.
- Appointment & Resignation
- Awards In News
- Defence/Military Exercises
- Famous Books
- Important Days/Weeks
- Important Decade
- Organisation In News
- Persons In News
- Places In News
- Plans & Policy
- Scheme & Programme
- Species In News
- Summit, Seminars & Conferences
- Web Portal & Apps
State In News