Current Affairs - Awards In News
India's Vijay Amritraj has been named the 2021 recipient of the Golden Achievement Award.
- The Golden Achievement Award is presented annually by the International Tennis Hall of Fame and International Tennis Federation.
‘Mo Bus’, the bus service of Odisha’s Capital Region Urban Transport (CRUT) authority, has been recognised by the United Nations as one of 10 global recipients of its annual Public Service Awards for 2022.
- The public transport service has been recognised for its role in “promoting gender-responsive public services to achieve the SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals)”.
Central Institute of Educational Technology (CIET), a constituent unit of National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) under Department of School Education and Literacy (DOSEL), MoE, Government of India has been awarded with the UNESCO’s King Hamad Bin Isa Al-Khalifa Prize for the Use of ICT in Education for the year 2021.
- The Ministry of Education through 'PM eVidya' scheme (started in May 2020) imparted learning across digital, online, and on-air platforms for minimum learning losses.
SEEDS (Sustainable Ecological & Environmental Development Society), South Asia’s foremost non-profit organisation working in the field of disaster risk reduction and climate change was awarded the United Nations Sasakawa Award 2022 for Disaster Risk Reduction at the 7th Session of Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (GPDRR) 2022 held in Bali, Indonesia.
- SEEDS was among the six laureates of the 2022 United Nations Sasakawa Award for Disaster Risk Reduction who have been recognised for initiatives which protect vulnerable communities from disaster risk.
Indian writer Geetanjali Shree and American translator Daisy Rockwell won the International Booker Prize 2022 for “Tomb of Sand”.
- Originally written in Hindi – (‘Ret Samadhi’), it’s the first book in any Indian language to win the International Booker Prize.
Cynthia Rosenzweig, a senior research scientist and head of the Climate Impacts Group at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York City, received the 2022 World Food Prize from the World Food Prize Foundation on May 5, 2022.
- Rosenzweig was selected for the award for her research to understand the relationship between climate and food systems and forecast how both will change in the future
The British broadcaster Sir David Attenborough has been accorded the Champions of the Earth Lifetime Achievement Award for his dedication to research, documentation, and advocacy for the protection of nature and its restoration.
The annual World Day for Safety and Health at Work on 28 April promotes the prevention of occupational accidents and diseases globally.
- It is an awareness-raising campaign intended to focus international attention on the magnitude of the problem and on how promoting and creating a safety and health culture can help reduce the number of work-related deaths and injuries.