Current Affairs - Current News
The Government of India has promulgated two Ordinances to extend the tenure of Directors of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Enforcement Directorate (ED) up to 5 years. The chiefs of the central agencies currently have a two-year tenure.
On 12th November 2021, Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually launched two innovative customer centric initiatives of RBI: ‘Retail Direct Scheme’ and ‘Reserve Bank - Integrated Ombudsman Scheme, 2021’.
Retail Direct Scheme
- RBI’s Retail Direct scheme will enable small investors to participate in the government’s bond market for their financial security.
On 10th November 2021, Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) 2022, published by German-watch along with Climate Action Network (CAN) and New Climate Institute, was released on the sidelines of the 26th session of the Conference of the Parties (CoP26) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
The CCPI analyses and compares climate change mitigation efforts across 60 countries (plus EU as a whole) with the highest emissions. Together these countries account for 90 percent of global emissions.
Earth's first continents emerged from the oceans around 3.3–3.2 billion years ago — at least 700 million years earlier than previously thought, according to a study by researchers from Monash University, Australia.
- They studied the sedimentary and igneous rocks of an ancient continental fragment in India called the Singhbhum Craton in today’s Eastern India.
The 5th edition of Ganga Utsav-The River Festival 2021 was celebrated recently.
- The annual event is organised by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) jointly with the Ministry of Jal Shakti to mark the anniversary of the announcement of River Ganga as the ‘National River’ on November 04, 2008.
On 8th November 2021, the Union Minister for Commerce and Industry Piyush Goyal launched the 3rd edition of the Logistics Ease Across Different States (LEADS) Index, 2021.
- As per the report, Gujarat has been adjudged as the ‘Best Performing State’ while Haryana and Punjab got the second and third position respectively.
The Union Government has amended the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules 2011 for enhanced protection of Consumer Rights. The amendments will come into effect from 1st April next year.
The sixth edition of the UNEP Adaptation Gap Report was released recently under the title ‘Adaptation Gap Report 2021: The Gathering Storm’.
- AGR2021 provides an update on current actions and the emerging results of regional-level to national-level adaptation planning, finance and implementation worldwide.