Current Affairs - Polity & Governance
22nd Law Commission of India
On 7th November 2022, the Union Govt. has constituted the 22nd Law Commission of India.
Electricity (Amendment) Bill, 2022
The Electricity (Amendment) Bill 2022 was introduced in the Parliament on 8th August, 2022.
- However, the Bill was later sent to the standing committee for further deliberation.
National Conference on Localisation of Sustainable Development Goals
The Vice President of India recently inaugurated National Stakeholders Conference on Localization of Sustainable Development Goals organized by the Ministry of Panchayati Raj.
- The Ministry is organising the Iconic Week from 11th April to 17th April, 2022, to commemorate Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav (AKAM) as a Jan-Utsav in the spirit of Jan-Bhagidari.
Sealed Cover Jurisprudence
Recently, concerns have been raised over Kerala High Court’s verdict to uphold the Information and Broadcasting Ministry’s order that revoked the broadcasting licence of Malayalam news channel Media One after the Ministry of Home Affairs(MHA)denied it security clearance.
- It is argued that the court’s decision “was based on a ‘sealed cover’ envelope provided by the MHA, the contents of which were not shared” with Media One, which was a “gross violation” of the principles of natural justice.
Good Governance Week
The central government is celebrating Good Governance week from December 20 to December 26, 2021.
- Every year 25th December is celebrated as ‘Good Governance Day’ to mark the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
The National Anti-Doping Bill 2021
Recently, the National Anti-Doping Bill, 2021 was introduced in Lok Sabha.
It seeks to prohibit doping in sports and establish a National Anti-Doping Agency, which will replace the existing National Anti-Doping Agency.
Biological Diversity (Amendment) Bill 2021
Recently, the Biological Diversity (Amendment) Bill, 2021 was introduced by the government.
- The amendments seeks to facilitate access to biological resources and traditional knowledge by the Indian traditional medicine sector.
Cabinet Clears Draft Bill for Linking Aadhaar & Voter ID
On 15th December, 2021, the Union Cabinet cleared a bill on electoral reforms, news agency PTI reported.
- The Election Commission has been pushing for key electoral reforms, including linking Aadhaar numbers to the electoral roll, making paid news an electoral offence, increasing the punishment for filing a false affidavit.
The National Investigation Agency(NIA) has approached the Supreme Court against a Bombay High Court order granting statutory bail to advocate and activist Sudha Bharadwaj.
About Default Bail
- Also known as statutory bail, this is a right to bail that accrues when the police fail to complete investigation within a specified period in respect of a person in judicial custody.
Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (Amendment) Bill, 2021
Recently, Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (Amendment) Bill, 2021 was passed by Lok Sabha.
About the Amendment
- It seeks to replace the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (Amendment) Ordinance, 2021.