Current Affairs - Obituary
Archaeologist B. B. Lal, who is considered as India’s most senior archaeologist, has passed away on 10th September 2022.
- He was trained by British archaeologist Sir Mortimer Wheeler at Taxila in 1944, after which he joined the Archaeological Survey of India and served it as Director-General from 1968 to 1972.
Mikhail Gorbachev, who ended the Cold War without bloodshed but failed to prevent the collapse of the Soviet Union, died on 30th August 2022.
- Gorbachev, the last Soviet president, forged arms reduction deals with the United States and partnerships with Western powers to remove the Iron Curtain that had divided Europe since World War II and bring about the reunification of Germany.
Noted scientist Dr. Ajay Kumar Parida has passed away.
- Known for his pioneering work in the field of agriculture, plant molecular biology and biotechnology, he had served as the Executive Director of the MS Swaminathan Research Foundation, Chennai from 2009-2016.
Eminent archaeologist, historian and former Director-General of the Bangladesh National Museum Dr. Enamul Haque has passed away.
- Dr Haque is credited with finding and protecting several invaluable sculptures from various archaeological sites in Bangladesh.
Noted social worker and Padma Shri awardee Avdhash Kaushal has passed away.
- Kaushal headed the non-governmental organisation (NGO), Rural Litigation and Entitlement Kendra (RLEK) for development work amongst tribal hill communities in the areas of Jaunsar-Bawar, a tribal belt of Dehradun district.