Current Affairs - Current News
India has joined the G20 Troika, which consists of Indonesia, Italy, and India - the current, previous and incoming G20 Presidencies, respectively.
- Italy hosted the G20 summit during October 30-31, 2021.
- On 2nd December 2021, Indonesia assumed the G20 Presidency and will convene various G20 meetings throughout the year, culminating with the G20 Leaders’ summit on 30-31 October 2022 under the overall theme of "Recover Together Recover Stronger”.
On 28 November 2021, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment announced the formation of a three-member committee to review the criteria for Economically Weaker Section (EWS) reservations.
- The issue had arisen after NEET aspirants challenged notification dated July 29, 2021 which had announced a 27 per cent quota for OBCs and 10 per cent reservation for EWS in under the All-India Quota category.
NITI Aayog has released the first-ever Multi-dimensional Poverty Index (MPI) of India.
- This baseline report of the national MPI measure is based on the reference period of 2015-16 of the National Family Health Survey (NFHS).
The Labour ministry has released the new series of wage rate index (WRI) with the base year being 2016.
- The new series of WRI with base 2016=100 will replace the old series with base 1963-65.
- Government periodically revises the base year of WRI for key economic indicators in order to provide a clear picture of economic changes and record the wage pattern of workers.
On 24 November 2021, the UN General Assembly has adopted a resolution for Graduation of Bangladesh, the Lao People’s Democratic Republic and Nepal from the least developed country category.
- The three countries will graduate from the LDC category after an exceptionally extended preparatory period of five years (the standard period is of three years) to enable them to prepare for graduation.
INS Vela, the fourth submarine in the series of six submarines of Project-75, was commissioned on 25 Nov 21.
- The Scorpene Class submarines are being built in India by the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) Mumbai, under collaboration with M/s Naval Group (earlier DCNS), France.
The 89th General Assembly of Interpol was held from 23 – 25 November, at Istanbul, Turkey which meets once a year.
The 90th INTERPOL General Assembly will be held in New Delhi, India in 2022.
Highlights of 89th Meet
Ahmed Nasser Al-Raisi elected as President of Interpol
- Ahmed Nasser al-Raisi, inspector general of the UAE's interior ministry, has been elected as the President of Interpol for a four-year term.
After NFHS-5 in respect of 22 States & UTs covered in Phase-I (released in December, 2020), the Phase II report was released recently for India and 14 States/UTs (clubbed under Phase-II) of the 2019-21 National Family Health Survey (NFHS-5).
- The States and UTs which were surveyed in the Phase-II are Arunachal Pradesh, Chandigarh, Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, NCT of Delhi, Odisha, Puducherry, Punjab, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
On 23 November 2021, NITI Aayog released the inaugural SDG Urban Index and Dashboard 2021–22.
- It is another step of NITI Aayog towards localizing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and instituting robust SDG progress monitoring systems at the national, State/UT, and local levels.
- The index and dashboard are a result of the NITI Aayog-GIZ and BMZ collaboration focused on driving SDG localization in our cities, under the umbrella of Indo-German Development Cooperation.
On 22nd November 2021, Union Home Minister laid foundation stone for setting up the Rani Gaidinliu Tribal Freedom Fighters Museum at Luangkao village in Manipur’s Tamenglong district.
About Rani Gaidinliu
- Rani Gaidinliu was born on January 26, 1915 at Nungkao village in Tamenglong district of Manipur.