Current Affairs - Places In News
World's Highest Railway Bridge
Recently, Union Railways Minister announced that trains are expected to ply on the Chenab bridge, which is being claimed as the world's highest railway bridge, by January-February 2024.
Mall of Srinagar
On March 19, 2023, the UAE-based Emaar Group, known for developing the Burj Khalifa, announced its first foreign direct investment (FDI) project in Jammu and Kashmir.
Two Australian public universities in GIFT City
On March 1, 2023, Education Minister announced in the presence of other dignitaries that Deakin University and University of Wollongong would become the first foreign education institutions to establish campuses in GIFT City, Gujarat.
India’s first Swachh Sujal Pradesh
Union Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat has declared Andaman and Nicobar Islands as India’s first Swachh Sujal Pradesh.
- With this accomplishment, all villages on the Andaman and Nicobar Islands have received the Har Ghar Jal certification and have been verified as ODF plus open defecation free.
Faroe Islanders slaughter Bottlenose Dolphins
Recently, about hundred bottlenose dolphins were slaughtered in the Faroe Islands, marking the biggest hunt of this species to take place in 124 years.
Mangarh Hillock: Adivasis’ Jallianwala
The National Monument Authority recently submitted a report to the Union Ministry of Culture to declare Mangarh Hillock a ‘Monument of National Importance’.
- The hillock, situated at the Gujarat-Rajasthan border, is a site of a tribal uprising where a massacre of over 1500 Bhil tribal freedom fighters took place in 1913.
Saint Tropez: A Slice of Indo-French Cultural Connect
Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Shri Anurag Singh Thakur recently visited the Allard Square in Saint Tropez in France.
- During his visit to the place, the Minister paid floral tributes at the busts of Maharaja Ranjit Singh (first Maharaja of Sikh Empire), Jean-Francois Allard (General in Maharaja Ranjit Singh’s army) and his spouse Princess Bannu Pan Dei (She was born in Chamba, Himachal Pradesh).
It is the highest volcano in Indonesia that recently erupted.
- It is located in Lumajang district in East Java province.
Meghalaya to develop Tourism in ‘Nongkhnum Island’
Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad Sangma has announced a special package worth 13 crore rupees for the development of tourism infrastructure and amenities at Nongkhnum Island in West Khasi Hills district.
- Recently, Croatian scientists have issued a public appeal for the protection of the Adriatic Sea, stressing that this is a precondition for the sustainable development of the society.
- The scientists claim that the changes are irreversible, from the increase in the temperature of the Adriatic Sea, the increase in levels and salinity to the appearance of storm waves.
- The scientists claim that various non-domicile, thermophilic species of fish, algae, bacteria and gelatinous organisms are increasingly appearing in the Adriatic.